Alcohol and Drugs

Alcohol and drugs have a significant impact on the community and on the frontline resources of the Western Australia Police Force.

Police encounter a range of drug related problems including: 

  • Drug possession, trafficking, cultivation, manufacture
  • Property crime (research shows that drug users not only commit property crime to generate income but also commit crimes under the influence of a drug [intoxication²])
  • Violent crime, assault, family violence
  • Sexual assault
  • Child abuse and neglect
  • Fatal and non-fatal overdose
  • Drink and drug driving
  • Loss of public amenity – disturbances, public intoxication, anti-social behaviour, vandalism, property damage, loitering to buy drugs, discarding drug use equipment in public places
  • Dangers to police from clandestine labs, violence and needle stick injuries.
  • Drink-spiking safety tips

    Drink spiking occurs when alcohol or another substance is added to your drink without your knowledge. Drink spiking is illegal.

    You may not be able to know if your drink is spiked but some of the warning signs are:

    • Feeling sick or sleepy
    • Feeling dizzy or faint
    • Feeling drunk when you have only consumed a small amount of alcohol
    • Memory loss.

    Helpful hints

    • Never leave your drink unattended - it only takes a second for someone to add more alcohol or a drug to your drink.
    • Only accept drinks from people you know and trust.
    • If you lose sight of your drink, don’t drink from it again.
    • Avoid sharing drinks and be careful of accepting drinks from people you don’t know very well.
    • Be wary if someone buys you a different drink to what you asked for.
    • If you feel sick or dizzy ask someone you trust to take you to a safe place.
    • Look out for your friends.

    If you are concerned that you or a friend believes their drink has been spiked, stay with someone you trust and seek medical attention. It is also important that you contact police on these occasions, especially if a robbery or assault has occurred.

    Further advice is available at: