Here are a number of ways you can keep yourself safe:
- Trust your instincts - If you sense trouble, get away as soon as possible.
- Show confidence - Walk at a steady pace, keep your head up and avoid carrying lots of packages…It can make you look defenceless!
- Don’t look like an easy target – Robbers want someone who will provide the least resistance. If you look like you know where you are going, walk with your head up and eyes alert, you will most likely be left alone.
- Be observant - Don’t allow yourself to be distracted by activity such as talking on your cell phone, listening to music or reading.
- Be diligent - Protect your valuables. Don’t lose sight of your personal belongings or leave them unattended (bag, wallet, mobile phone, jacket, etc). Use ATMs during the daylight hours in well-populated areas.
- Remain alert and observe people around you. - Know who is walking behind and in front of you. Things to watch for include suspicious persons or vehicles, people who are wearing inappropriate clothing for the weather (Eg: A long trench coat in the middle of summer), and people just loitering around.